Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
A top priority for Rotary is growing and diversifying our membership to make sure we reflect the communities we serve and are inclusive of all cultures, experiences, and identities.
We're creating an organization that is more open and inclusive, fair to all, builds goodwill, and benefits our communities.
To help us achieve our goal, the RI Board of Directors passed a diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) statement:
As a global network that strives to build a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change, Rotary values diversity and celebrates the contributions of people of all backgrounds, regardless of their age, ethnicity, race, color, abilities, religion, socioeconomic status, culture, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Rotary will cultivate a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture in which people from underrepresented groups have greater opportunities to participate as members and leaders.
Making diversity, equity, and inclusion a priority is everyone's responsibility — from Rotary members to staff at the Secretariat.
What your club can do:
- Talk about diversity with your club members and create a member diversity and inclusion action plan using the Diversifying Your Club assessment.
- Invite local diversity, equity, and inclusion experts to speak at your club’s next gathering.
- Connect with local organizations that are supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts and work with them on projects or events.
- Encourage and support people from underrepresented groups to take on leadership positions in your club and district.
- Encourage club members to take the Building a Diverse Club course in the Learning Center to learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Create a community advisory board and invite diverse members from the community and from your club to take part. You'll learn what's important to the community and discover ways to work together to take action.
What the Secretariat is doing:
- The Board set a goal to increase the number of women who are Rotary members and who serve in Rotary leadership positions to 30 percent by June 2023. More women are being appointed to serve as International Assembly training leaders, regional leaders, and Rotary International committee members.
- We continue to support Rotary Fellowships that bring together members from around the world who share a common passion.
- We're creating a strategic plan that supports diversity, equity, and inclusion.